What does eating Spaghetti Bolognese and service-orienting your IT systems have in common? (Please indulge me in a little frivolity.)
- You won't find many restaurants selling Bolognese Sauce that you can combine with a bowl of spaghetti you made yourself and Parmesan from Tesco.
- Factorising out a service is like pulling one strand of spaghetti from the bowl; you know it must be possible but everything is just so tangled.
- When you do get a strand separated it is tempting to eat it in a way that makes a mess.
- It can't be done elegantly.
- Chopping it up small works but isn't very clever.
"Spaghetti code" is already a well-used programmers' term.